Thank you for visiting my profile. I look forward to talking with you about our shared heart’s desire – music! I offer individual and group lessons in voice, piano and flute as well as Musikgarten classes (general music for very young children) and workshops in music theory, improvisation, ensemble playing, and vocal arts. All ages and levels of music student are welcome. Comprehensive and holistic music making skills that last a lifetime are what I wish to share with you.
In my studio, you’ll learn to understand the language of music and of your instrument, to read and write music, to sight-sing, and to practice effectively. Flutists will achieve excellent breath management and body alignment, and develop consistently beautiful tone. Vocalists will also learn to extend the range, use clear diction, sing in foreign languages, harmonize and sing in ensemble. Vocalists, pianists and flutists will learn to play in ensemble, improvise and arrange. All students will learn to listen well and critically, prepare for auditions and for university entrance, conquer intonation problems, and deepen their understanding of rhythm through drumming. Everything we do will be in harmony with your goals.
I am a lifelong musical teaching artist – vocalist, flutist, piano accompanist and music director. My decades of experience, together with my formal education and training, have prepared me well to serve you on your musical journey. I hold a double Bachelors of Science in Performance (voice/flute) and Music Technology (audio engineering) from New York University. My degree was earned through coursework at Yale University, New York University, and the Institute of Audio Research in New York City. I was fortunate to have benefitted from 17 years of private training, having studied in the private studios of Anna Freund (Metropolitan Opera), John Kuhn (Metropolitan Opera) and Marianna Busching (Peabody Conservatory), among others. A few highlights of my professional career include off-off Broadway theater, Virginia Symphony Chorus Professional Core, Masterworks Chorus (D.C.), touring member of Troubadours Nouveaux and Duo Gordon and Cathy, Music Director and Vocal Arts Instructor for Center Players @Arts of the Albemarle Children’s Theater School. I have maintained a studio for private music instruction for nearly 40 years. I look forward to meeting you and getting started on your musical experience. Call me at 252-955-0706.
Since 2009, I have devoted myself full time to private teaching. Together with my husband and partner, classical guitarist Gordon Kreplin, we have built Ascencion Music Academy, a studio music school where classical, jazz, commercial and folk musicians are equally at home. Mastery of technique, literacy, musicianship, improvisation, new music creation, and performance are equally well emphasized.
My teaching methods vary to suit the individual needs of each student. My instructional philosophy is informed by the work of Dalcroze, Orff, and Kodaly, all proponents of student-centered learning with heavy emphasis on rhythm and deep listening skills. I use methods and materials from the Berklee School of Music, the Royal Conservatory Music Development Program, the Associated Boards of Royal Schools of Music and by recognized masters such as Mathilde Marchesi, Anne Peckham, Trevor Wye, Randall and Nancy Faber, Charles Louis Hanon and more. Each year, my students have multiple opportunities to perform publicly and to participate in festivals and competitions, according to their wishes. For school-aged music students, parental participation in lesson is welcomed and encouraged! Smooth and effective transitions from lesson to home study and back are vital to developing practice habits that support lifelong joyful music making. Parents are highly valued “music buddies.”
PRESS KIT (clickable links)
- Active concert artist with guitarist Gordon Kreplin: Duo Romantico.
- Co-owner and Co-Director of Ascencion Music Academy.
- More than 40 years of experience as private teacher.
- Youth Music Director, St. Andrews by the Sea in Nags Head, NC.
- Member, Board of Directors of the North Carolina Music Teachers Association. Chair of the Woodwind, Brass, Percussion and NC Chamber Ensemble Section.
- Available to premiere new works for voice and flute.
- Passed the first of three levels of piano pedagogy specialist coursework with the Royal Conservatory in 2017.
- Certified Musikgarten Teacher.
- Member of MTNA, NCMTA, NATS, NCNATS and NFA.
Some career HIGHLIGHTS
- Instructor and Coach, Vocal Arts, Center Players Children’s Theater School and Company.
- Music Director, Center Players Children’s Theater Company.
- Music Director, Center Singers Voice & Rhythm Ensemble.
- Virginia Symphony Chorus Professional Core Vocalist.
- Founder & Co-owner/Producer/Engineer for Ascencion Recordings record label.
- Studio Engineer and editor, Vanguard Records, NYC.
- Off-off Broadway repertory company – Process Studio Theater.
- Equity Actor.
- Post-university vocal study in the private studios of John Kuhn (Metropolitan Opera), Marianna Bushing (Peabody Conservatory) and Alan Bowers (NYC).
- Earned a double Bachelor of Science cum laude in Music and Technology from New York University. This pioneering hybrid degree was earned through combined coursework from Yale University, New York University and The Institute of Audio Research in New York.
- Founding member of “Something Extra”, Yale’s first all-female glee club.
- Music training began pre-school. Seventeen years private training in addition to formal music education.